Friday, March 22, 2013

Belated Beach Yarn

After an embarrassing number of months, I managed to finish spinning Melissa's birthday skein. It was so late that I wrote on the card "Happy Belated (almost your next) Birthday." I tried to make up for the lateness with yardage.

It is meant to be a beach theme; going from the sandy edge of the water, through the breakers, and out to deep water.

The skein was spun up from several Faerie Mountain Fibers Crazy Batts. I practiced my long draw while spinning this yarn. The long draw requires only one hand and I've been told that it is sometimes called the beer draw, which I find to be accurate. I did have a beer in my other hand while spinning. I thought (correctly) that Melissa would approve. In the end, the skein was very close to 400 yards of fingering/sport weight. I suggested a center-out triangular or semicircle shawl to best show off this yarn.

After getting the yarn and fondling it, Melissa immediately cast on a Shaelyn shawl. I think she knit it faster than I spun it. I'd never spun a gradated yarn and I am excited that it came out so well. Let us all gaze on how glorious the Shaelyn looks.
Photo courtesy of Melissa

 And now I think I need to spin myself an ocean-themed yarn.

10 comments :

Jennifer said...

Beautiful yarn, and beautiful shawl! You are so thoughtful!!!

K A said...

beautiful yarn and knitting! I got to fondle it on Wed night :)

Anonymous said...

It's absolutely gorgeous.

Pumpkin said...

Not only did you spin the most gorgeous handspun ever, but she knit it into something equally beautiful! You are so talented Audry, especially if you can spin AND hold a beer at the same time (which I now aspire to do).

Maryse said...

I thought the yarn was lovely! Paired with this beautiful shawl pattern, it is stunning! I love the theme! Good team work!

Cindy said...

I actually got to see the shawl in person and it was lovely!!

You really need to join us again at Panera.

Anonymous said...

Oh, so gorgeous! I'm so glad she knit it up right away, since it would have been a shame to let that lovely handspun sit in her stash for too long. I'm knitting a Shaelyn at the moment too, but this is really making me wish it had graduated/ombre colours. Sigh.

José said...

Wow.. It looks absolutely gorgeous ! I can sure picture the beach with that shawl / yarn... beautiful combi !

Bethany said...

Awesome handspun. I'm jealous. I tried long draw once and got pretty frustrated... I need to give it another go.

Unknown said...

That is beyond glorious!! I love the yarn, the shawl, the concept... beautiful.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...