Wednesday, May 8, 2013

I'm Off

In less than an hour I'll be headed to the airport for a 12 hour flight followed by a three hour layover and another hour flight. In preparation, I have two knits and one book to keep me sane.
First off we have my Mum's annual birthday scarf, Strathcona. This is the last pattern I need to knit from Jane Richmond's ISLAND book. Once this is complete (and the buttons arrive for the Grace cardi) I will have knit everything in the book. I've never knit an entire book before, so this is pretty exciting. The yarn is Tosh Lace in the Spectrum colorway.

I also cast on for a pair of Sleepy Hollow Socks in Miss Babs' now discontinued Windsor Sock. The colorway is Flourite. 

I've printed up the TSA's stance on knitting needles. (Which states that it is fine to have them.) But on the off chance that my needles are taken away. I have an extra project stashed in my check-in luggage. This is the Prairie Shawl in Sweet Fiber Yarns' Cashmere Lace. The colorway is Tea Leaves. 
I almost didn't end up with this skein. When I was at the yarn shop, I saw it and wanted it. But after going through all sorts of patterns on Tyler's ipad, I couldn't match it up to a project. I do my best not to buy yarn without having a project in mind. Two days later The Prairie Shawl was released. I queued it, thinking about how I hoped the skein would still be at the shop. A few hours I got a pm from Tyler stating that he had put the yarn on hold for me after seeing that I queued the perfect project. What an enabler.

Actually, in the interest of full disclosure, I have an extra skein in my check-in luggage as well. And maybe some extra needles too. Just in case.

4 comments :

Unknown said...

Wow, knitting a whole book is very impressive! Enjoy your trip, I hope you get to keep your needles!

Pumpkin said...

Good luck with the flights! International flights are so much more pleasant than domestic so you'll be fine. For TSA, don't worry about it. I've been flying more than ten times a year for the last eight years, never once had a problem (except for one time where they were confused about my niddy noddy during a random search). Just don't draw any attention to your needles and you'll be fine. New Zealand security shouldn't bother you, it is the land of sheep after all! Have a wonderful time!

Anonymous said...

Hah! I was also seriously admiring the Sweet Fiber Yarns Tea Leaves colourway! These all looks like excellent travelling knits – enjoy and fly safely!

Anonymous said...

Those look like great flying projects. The colours are beautiful too. I'm so impressed. Not only have you knitted a book of patterns, but you've also designed a book! That's some doing.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...