Saturday, May 18, 2013

From Gumboots To Alpine Fog

We left Chris in Wellington and headed up north towards National Park. I briefly practiced driving on the "wrong side" of the road. It was the most terrifying 30 minutes of both Dad and my life. I still got us safely to Taihape. 

I was sad to find that we were too late to see the Quilted Gumboot. It closed a little before we arrived in town. I peered through the window to see all the yarn and fabric I missed out on. Dad breathed a sigh of relief.

After lunch in Taihape, we continued on our way. We stopped for a quick picture by the Army Museum. Then onwards to National Park.

A fog surrounded us as we got to the Skotel, our accommodations for the night. It was thick and periodically rain showered by.

Dad and I went a little ways down a track to have a look at the area. Mist swirled by. Droplets collected on the alpine plants.

The clouds dampened every sound. We headed back as dusk approached.

For a very brief moment I spotted a bit of a mountain. Little did I know that this was the most I was going to see the entire time we were there.

3 comments :

Pumpkin said...

The photographs of the plants are beautiful, truly wonderful to look at. They have an almost haunted feel to them. I can hardly drive on the right side of the road, I cannot imagine driving on the left! I'm glad you all survived though!

Anonymous said...

So... did you manage to stop at The Wool Co.??

Anonymous said...

It was still beautiful, hauntingly so.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...