Saturday, May 12, 2012

Scooter's Surgery

I'd been wanting to add another blog post for the last few days, but I just didn't know quite what to say. There was a big, scary event that was going to happen, and I didn't really want to say anything until it was all over. We'll start the entire story from the beginning. (A good place to start). On Monday we took Scooter to his annual vet appointment. While we were there we pointed out the different lumps and bumps he's gotten just to make sure he was ok. The doctor was a bit concerned about the small lump under his left front arm. Just to be sure it was ok, they took a sample and sent it to be tested.
His day-before-surgery bath. No need to be stinky at the vet's office.

On Wednesday we got a call saying the the test was inconclusive, but the bump looked like it was starting to form spindle cells, which meant it might be starting to spread. Just to be safe, they wanted to take the lump out with a wide margin. So Scooter had his surgery scheduled for Friday. Mum and I got up early to drop Scooter off. We were told to call at 3pm to see if Scooter was ready to be done. Of course we called promptly at 3 and were told that Scooter was ready to come home. The poor guy spent the rest of the day sleeping.
He really could not keep his eyes open after coming home.

It's been less than 24 hours since Scooter had his surgery and he is already acting as if he hadn't even been. We were told that if he messes with his stitches, put a shirt on him. The only shirt that we could find that would fit was one I wore when I was 5. He doesn't seem too phased by his silly attire. And I know this is a sleeping picture, but we knew he was fine because he's been racing all over the house and barked at the mailman. He's just pooped himself out after doing his normal dog stuff.

The only thing to wait for now is a call from the lab to see if they managed to remove everything. I really hope they did because I really love my little buddy.

9 comments :

Unknown said...

I'm sorry to hear about Scooter's surgery. I swear, I worry more about my pets' bumps and surgeries more than I do my human family's, probably because my pets can't tell me how they're feeling. Hope you get an all-clear call soon. And Scooter is adorable, esp. in those "pooped" shots.

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how they bounce back from things that leave us far more traumatised than them! I hope Scooter is fine. My best wishes for the optimal outcome!

Cindy said...

Love the pink shirt!

Pumpkin said...

Poor little guy! I really hope that the next call you get from the vet is a good one! Hang in there!

Jennifer said...

Oh my, I hope Scooter's okay! I can't imagine how scary that would be... poor guy!

José said...

Oww... you go, Scooter !

Hope you'll soon get an all-okay-call from the vet.. Having pets myself, I know how nervewrecking such things can be.. big ups !

Andi G said...

As you know, Scooter steals the show many times when you post about him on the blog. So when I saw the title of you post my heart dropped. I am glad he came through the surgery o.k. I will send postive thought and love your way in hopes that they got everything.

Anonymous said...

I hope he's OK! My dogs always did the same thing after surgery- there was a couple of hours of stoned tiredness, and then they were back to normal.

Dinkyflowerpots said...

Awww, poor Scooter and poor you! It is so difficult sending them for surgery, so difficult waiting for them to come out of surgery and so difficult waiting for the results. I'm just glad that you go the opportunity to mention the lumps at the check-up. Hopefully everything that needed removing has now gone.

Syd says 'woof'in agreement!

B x

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...