Thursday, May 24, 2012

Mitten Awakening

I haven't quite decided what the skein of Tanglebella wants to be just yet, so I have lined up my next braid of roving to spin. I'm rather proud to say that when I pulled the braid in half, I was able to separate it with only a 2g difference. This time I have a better plan of what I'm going to do. All going well, I will spin the two mini braids separately, then chain ply them into two skeins. If it looks like I have a decent amount of yarn, I'll make a pair of Denature socks. I've been wanting to make those socks for awhile, but I'd had a hard time finding playful yarn that would still show off the pattern. I don't know about all of you, but DNA screams robin egg blue, meadow green, dirt brown and blood red to me. For those who would like to know, it's Polwarth from Woolgatherings. And after checking my etsy account to see what this braid was (because I was too lazy to get up and walk 10 feet to get the tag) I found that I had bought it August 3, 2010. Sigh. If only that was the oldest thing in the stash....

I have pulled my Druid Mittens out of hibernation. I was rather inspired to work on them after my post about how I had only one project on the needles. I will be ripping out the mitten on the left. The cuff is too big and the hand is too small. The one on the right is much, much better. The cuff is a little tight to get over my hand, but it fits my wrist perfectly. Believe it or not, both cuffs were knit with the same size needle and have the same number of stitches. But the left one was done with one circular (and a beer in me) and the right one was done with double circulars (and no beer).

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

Your description of the colours in your braid is so accurate! It will be very pretty when you've spun it up too! The Druid mittens look like they're coming along very well!

WildflowerWool said...

Happy spinning and I love the mitts!

Anonymous said...

I have noticed that my knitting tends to get looser with a beer in me, too. I just have to be careful not to pick up anything too complicated with SEVERAL beers in me ;)

Jennifer said...

Hah, it's so funny how seemingly small things can have a big impact on one's knitting tension! I have a hugely different tension with DPNs vs. circs. I love the Druid Mittens and have wanted to make them FOREVER.

Pumpkin said...

I've always wanted to knit Denatured, especially because I'm a molecular biologist, DNA is pretty much my life. Thus, I'm super excited to see how your pair knit up, although you will make me have to knit them too. I really love the fiber you picked out, I agree that the colors are amazing.

AC said...

I think the obvious solution is to always drink a beer while knitting...

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...