Tuesday, May 22, 2012

My Socks Rock

I've finished up with the Mediumweight Socks That Rock in the Farmhouse colorway. And my socks do rock. I could post a million pictures of them, but I'll just give you a link to the ravelry project page instead. I just improvised the design, but I'm toying with the idea of releasing a pattern anyways. The big question is should it be a pay-for, freebee, or should I not worry about writing up an official pattern.

I also finished up my sock yarn. As much as I wanted the barber pole effect, I had that nagging feeling that the yarn really would have been too light weight. So I went with a navajo ply instead. I'm much happier with the weight. Originally when I was going to do a 2-ply, I had planned to do another pair of ribbed socks. Now I'm not too sure. This yarn will have definite stripes, so it could hold up to a pattern. Does anyone have any good suggestions for a sock pattern that would work with striped yarn? Or should I go ahead and just do another pair of ribbed socks? I would like this to be an easy pattern since this was going to be my relaxing knit. And I'm not tired of ribbing. But I want to match the best pattern I can to this skein. (If anyone is curious, the braid this skein came from can be seen in my Stitches West 2011 post. It's the braid with the really bright yellow by Tanglebella. There was white hiding out in the braid, so the skein isn't as vibrant.)

And after many hiccups and trips to the frog pond, design #8 is almost done. I just have to weave ends and block. (And do the computery bit of the pattern, but I'm not going to count that towards the pattern being nearly done.) That means I only have two more patterns to go! They are both going to be large projects and I have another large secret project that is about to start. So it will still be awhile yet. But still. Two more patterns!

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

Those socks definitely rock. I must hurry up and finish what I'm knitting so I can knit more pretty socks too! (Once I've also solved the issue of not enough proper warm clothes for me and family now it's finally winter!) Congratulations on finishing your 8th pattern! Drink beer. You deserve it.

José said...

Wow, only two patterns to go ! That's great !

Love those socks.. ! And they look a perfect fit ! I'd love a pattern, admitted.. Thusfar I struggled a few times with the Yarn Harlot's basic sock pattern, but somehow can't seem to make them fit just that well, so... ;-)

Pumpkin said...

Woohoo! Done with pattern #8! Congrats. I love the new socks, they certainly do rock. At first I wasn't sure if you should bother writing a pattern for them because they are just ribbed, but then I saw how the toe and the heel are constructed and maybe some less experienced knitters might really enjoy such a pattern. Also, love the handspun, I think you finished it perfectly.

Jennifer said...

Very rocking socks! And definitely write up a pattern if you're up for it. The pay or free question is probably only something you can decide. Congrats on the 8th design!

Anonymous said...

Love those socks! I always feel like, if I'm going to charge for a pattern, then purchasers really have to get something out of it. I feel guilty charging if it's not an original design, or if it doesn't have plenty of sizes, etc. Plus, it's always good to have a couple of free patterns to hook knitters into your work. I don't know how you feel about it, but that's my two cents.

Carol said...

Your socks are gorgeous and beautifully photographed. Looking forward to seeing your upcoming patterns.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...