Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Goal #4: Make Handspun Socks

For the last few years I've made a goal list at the beginning of the year. Usually after I make it, I ignore it until I do my year in review post. I just like to see if my beginning-of-the-year goals match what I actually ended up doing. This year is going to be a little different. I peeked at this year's goals a little early and have decided to actually try to complete #4: Knit a pair of sock with my own hand spun yarn.

I've heard of spinners not liking the barber pole effect that handspun yarn often has. I personally love it. There are very few yarns that I have spun where I didn't want that to happen. Here's the problem. I may have spun the singles a little thin for it to be a two ply. I could chain ply it, but not only would I not get the color effect I want, I'm not really sure how much yardage I would have. (It'll probably become a two ply and I'll just have tiny yarn.) Although any encouragement/ thoughts on the yarn would be appreciated. And for those who might like to know, it's a BFL from Tanglebella. And yes, I did realize (halfway through of course) that it isn't superwash, so it isn't terribly practical for socks. Oh well.

5 comments :

Pumpkin said...

Handspun socks are such a joy! I knitted a pair for the first time in January and loved every minute of it. Such lovely colors will make a truly amazing pair of socks, no doubt about it! Also, I am so glad that I'm not the only person out there who likes the barber pole effect. I actually happen to love it too.
I'm not sure if I'm experienced enough to comment. But I think that you will be surprised by how thick it comes out. I actually 3-plyed mine and that turned out perfectly. I'm sure a great solution will come to you!

Victoria said...

From the little I know about spinning yarn, a 3-ply is preferred for socks. With a tight twist. So that they may hopefully last longer. Put in all the work, I bet you want something to stay around.

That said, I have no idea what the barber pole effect actually looks like (esp. knitted up) but I hope it turns out how you want.

José said...

Well, I ain't no expert on socks.. ( meaning my attempts didn't quite turn out as I hoped, but they're wearable.. ) but as far as I know from the theory, you can make some more sturdy heel ( like an eye-of-the-partridge ) if you're worried about durability...

Otherwise I'd say; just go for it ! They're lovely colours, think it'll look great in barber pole effect, and if they turn out somewhat thinner than you'd planned.. so what ? Don't that just mean they'll be a perfect summer pair ? :-)

Anonymous said...

I love those colours! Good luck working out a solution. I have BFL sock yarn that is very thin. It is such a strong yarn though, that it has knitted up beautifully on smaller needles. I don't know how thin your yarn is, but perhaps it won't matter?

Tally Knits said...

Beautiful! I personally love the effect of NOT Navajo-plying... the yarn comes out a little stripey, but not too obviously so. Barber poling is perfectly fine, I think! I say just have a light fingering weight 2-ply. Can't wait to see it.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...