Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Beer + Yarn = 2 New Projects

Apparently I'm a bit knitting repressed. I usually only have 3 wips (works in progress) going on at a time. Well, last night while watching From Prada to Nada and drinking a beer I felt the need to cast on for not one, but two new projects! The first is a prototype for a color work design. I thought it would be easier to figure out the sizing before going crazy with color. This will eventually be gifted to a buddy I've know for over a decade. The yarn is Lorna's Laces Shepard Worsted in the color way Zombie BBQ.

After knitting on the prototype for a bit, I went ahead and cast on for my Druid Mittens. I've been dying to make these for several years. I've had the yarn and pattern since 2010. It took me awhile to feel comfortable with size 0 needles. And even though I know I'll never get gauge, I have come up with a crazy brilliant solution. After realizing that taking stitches out of the pattern would not keep the mittens proportional, I have decided to knit them, then shrink them a bit in the dryer. Does this have the potential for catastrophically disappointing failure? Yes. Am I going to do it anyways? Yes. I figure if things go really wrong, I either have to find someone with bigger (or smaller depending on how this goes) hands to gift them to.

I did end up ripping out the toe of my Boromir sock and lengthen it. I still have the second sock to do. But the socks require the same needles that I'm doing the mittens on. I figured that it is sock weather longer than it is mitten weather, so these will be put on hold for a little bit.
And for those of you interested, Claire has released her Fellowship of the Socks ebook. Her designs are really pretty. Although the Boromirs are my favorite, I may have to make the Samwise and Gimli socks as well.

My Rocky Coast cardi is also coming along nicely. I finished up the body two nights ago while watching A Long Walk Home and One Crazy Summer.

Thanks again to my brother for the pictures. Though I'm not putting up the picture that he said made me look like a turtle. I kinda did look like a turtle.

I actually have 5 wips going on right now. There is still the pattern for my book that is being worked on. It should be good car knitting. And all going well, I'll be delivering the cardigan to my Oma tomorrow. She doesn't know this yet.

8 comments :

Jennifer said...

Casting on for new projects is always so fun. The cardi looks great!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you just have to go with the urge. Your new projects look like fun. I love the colour of your Rocky Coast Cardi! Stunning! And it suits you so well!

WildflowerWool said...

Good luck with the mittens. Does the pattern have a size smaller that you could knit if you are having trouble getting the gauge?

Anonymous said...

I've seen the Zombie BBQ yarn going round a lot on blogs but always just in the skein so it's great to see it being knitted up as it really does look so different doesn't it? Really liking it a lot!

Evelyn said...

5 WIPs? That's awesome. I love the way your Rocky Cardigan is looking and what a great color!

AC said...

Mmmm beer and yarn...the cardi looks awesome. I think you're the fastest knitter I know!

Anonymous said...

Hello, just in case you didn't see my reply over on my own blog, the yarn I'm using is by Rowan and it's called 'big wool'. It's really lovely stuff! Your bear hats are adorable by the way!

Andi G said...

Love Claire's Ebook (Gimli is my fav). It has been added to my Rav queue. I can't wait to hear about how much your Oma loves her cardigan.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...