Friday, April 7, 2017

I've Run Out Of Sock Needles

I've jealously eyed Gale's Art sock blanks for awhile now. Friends coming back from Rhinebeck had them... and at the time it was really difficult to get one on Gale's etsy shop. A year ago, around my birthday, I finally decided I was going to take the plunge, stalk her shop, and finally get myself a single sock blank in The Big O color way. The only problem was that less than a month earlier she retired the color. Oh the agony! And no one on ravelry was giving their's up. I did have a little sliver of hope though. She said that after a year, she might un-retire it. Well.... while sitting in the bathroom with my phone (like you do), I decided to see if the color might have finally been un-retired. And what do you know, she had exactly the one I wanted in her shop. I came bursting forth from the loo and shouted to Connor, who was sitting on the couch, I HAVE TO BUY YARN NOW. IT'S IMPORTANT. And now it is mine. However, I have run into a problem. 

All my sock needles are full. I know that some people would solve that problem by buying another set of needles, but that is not my way. (Also, I haven't been able to make it to the yarn shop...) So instead I am knitting furiously on all my socks to clear the needles. It might make sense to just work on one at a time, but after feeling really inspired to work on the Haleakala socks, I ran into a part that required lots of concentration, so I moved to my plain pair. Of course then I figured out the problem I was having with the test knit I was doing, so I gave my attention to that... until the weather turned cold again and I worked on my sweater instead. This is why I shouldn't be allowed to have more than three projects going at once; it prevents me from knitting my new yarn.

Does anyone else have a tale of yarn woe... and perhaps eventual triumph? Or is there yarn that you knew you should have bought and will never get your hands on?

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed with your restraint to not run to the nearest yarn store to get an extra pair of sock needles!! I have definitely stalked etsy shops for yarn updates, it's an oddly satisfying process :D

my sisters knitter said...

Oh Audry-your will is made of iron. There is no way I could stop from casting on that socks blank, especially if I had waited so long for the yarn. Then again, I am sure the thrill of the chase and eventual capture is reward enough.

Anonymous said...

That sock blank is gorgeous!! Your excitement is entirely justified. If I was you, I would be ordering some needles online... Funnily enough, the one yarn to cause me woe is the Opal Little Prince collection (which I see so temptingly in your photo). Thanks to you, I do have one pair of socks in that collection, and I smile every time I see them.

Alicia said...

"This is why I shouldn't be allowed to have more than three projects going at once; it prevents me from knitting my new yarn."

You know, there's a lot of truth in that! I'm typically a many-WIPs kinda person but lately I've been more monogamous and this is good motivation to continue.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...