Saturday, August 7, 2010

Wool Mill Retrospective

I've been working at the Yolo Wool Mill for four months now. I have learned so much more than I though I would when I took the job.
Skeinwinder

When I started the job, I knew how to knit and had a basic understanding of fiber.
Plied Fiber Ready To Be Skeined

I knew I would gain quite a bit of knowledge regarding fiber. I didn't realize that I would have to become a mechanic as well. Most of the machines are at least fifty years old, if not older.
Closeup of the Skeinwinder

They require plenty of care and maintenance. I had no idea that the maintenance would be my favorite part of the job. Taking apart a machine to figure out why it isn't running properly is so much fun! As a bonus, home repairs don't seem quite as daunting anymore.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...