Thursday, March 20, 2014

Sock Report

I haven't had any finished project news in quite some time. I'm pleased to share that I have finished not one, but two pairs of socks! First up is the Haleakala. The pattern is by Cookie A and I found them quite enjoyable to knit. I chose to make mine out of Tosh Sock in Nebula. I will note that I had to make my heel flap longer than normal because the tops of the socks are a little tighter due to the pattern, but that was easy enough to do.

I also finished my Days Of Wine And Roses socks, named after the Canon Hand Dyes yarn. It's just a 64 stitch vanilla sock. I had hoped to finish them in time to wear for Valentine's Day. No such luck. I'll just be sure to wear them next Valentine's Day.
As always, Scooter decided to help out during the photo shoot.

At this point, I had run out of projects, so I've started up some new ones. This yarn is Alexandra's Crafts Diamond Lake in the colors Blue Pacific and Navy. They will become a matching hat and mitt set. After a few false starts, the hat is coming along nicely.

Then I decided that I needed a new pair of Tardis socks. The black and white are Koigu. The blue is Knitsch in the color way Tennant.

I've decided to write up my own pattern for these ones. So many of the patterns for Tardis socks have either really large sizes (72+ stitch socks) or are a chart with the instructions "plug into your favorite sock pattern." I don't have a problem with that kind of instruction now, but one of the first pairs of socks I ever wanted to make was Tardis socks and fixing a pattern was way beyond me. So I thought I'd try to make something that a beginner sock knitter might have a shot at. It will have a 60 stitch size and 72 stitch size. So far so good.

Has anyone else knit up Tardis socks?

8 comments :

Maryse said...

Your new socks are really nice. Nope, first time I hear about Tardis socks...

French Nanny said...

They are looking brilliant! Want a test knitter?

Penny
x

Jennifer said...

I've been wanting to knit another pair of socks lately and yours are all so lovely. Tardis socks would be awesome.

Anonymous said...

Yay for socks!

Lately I am getting serious sock pangs, so after I finish the skirt and shawl currently occupying my needles, I'm going to hunker down and knit socks for a while. I don't have any real plans, but yours are making me think a pair of self-striping and a pair with a pattern are good places to start.

Bethany said...

Can't wait to see your tardis socks when they're finished, they look awesome already. I've also thought about a pair of tardis socks, but like you was a little unsure about the patterns out there.

The tosh socks are lovely - how does tosh sock hold up? I've several skeins, but never knit with any.

Anonymous said...

Your Haleakala and stripey socks are both very beautiful! I have been eyeing up Haleakala... it might end up on my list at some point.
I love that you're using the Tennant to design some Tardis socks. They'll be fabulous as usual.
Although I don't quite understand the phrase "at this point, I had run out of projects"... I'm glad you remedied that very quickly!

Andi G said...

Fabulous FO's! I adore your new socks.

Alina Sayre said...

I love your photography almost as much as I love your luscious yarn colors :) Happy knitting!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...