Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Infographic - 4KCBWDAY3

Today's topic for Knit/Crochet blog Week is: "There are many ways of conveying information on a blog; text and images being the two most widely used. Many infographics combine both these elements to provide a visual way of presenting text information.
I decided to make some charts based on my stash. And by stash, I mean active stash. I didn't include scraps, skeins attached to current WIPs, and that one box of Cascade yarns that I had used for my animal hat patterns. What I was left with was 98 skeins of yarn. But getting that to come out in a pie chart was a nightmare, so I included 2 skeins that was part of a semi-abandoned project. 
I knew that I liked fingering weight yarn, but apparently I like it more than nearly any other weight of yarn. I have 48 skeins of it. So I will be working on socks for a long, long, long time.

I've been going through a bit of a green phase in my yarn buying, so no surprise there. And I've always bought blue yarns. What I had forgotten is that I have two sweater amounts of brown yarn. I don't have too much variegated yarn though. (That rainbow part of that chart represents variegation.)

And here we've got how the colors and weights are distributed in my stash. The only color that I have in nearly every weight is green. Who's surprised? No one.

Well, I went a little wild with the graphs, but it was quite fun to see what I had lurking around the stash. I've also learned that I have to not buy any more fingering weight yarn until I knit some of it. We'll see how long that idea lasts.

8 comments :

Jennifer said...

Ooh! I love data represented as pie charts! Fingering weight yarn comprises about the same percentage of my stash as well, but I'm not sure about the rest. Also, I love GREEN!!!

Anonymous said...

Well done graphics, it's always interesting to see what the stash contains! I organize mine by color so it'd be interesting for me to go in and check out all the weight differences.

bookworm-Mary said...

I love your combination of graphics and how they all come together to explain your stash! The colors are great!

Amy said...

I am always drawn to fingering weight yarn. Your charts are great.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous charts. I love the way you displayed that information. I was playing in my stash today... I think my colour choices resemble more of a rainbow, and it seems that DK is the predominant weight for me.

Unknown said...

I love this post! I linked back to it in my Inspiration Saturday feature. http://woolendiversions.blogspot.com/2013/04/is-20-inspiration-you-guys.html

katiemetzroth said...

like your infographics. especially the last one. very inspired.

Unknown said...

I agree with all of the commenters, your visual displays make understanding your stash so much easier. I liked this meme in the 4KCBW series but I failed at getting my graphs to work.... mathmatically challenged here.... =/

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...