Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A Big, Scary Step

New opportunities are presenting themselves as I work on The Book. I may have come to a crossroads that affects which way I want to go with my business. One direction would be easier, but would mean that bear-ears.com would remain a hobby. The other direction would be quite a bit more work, but would mean that bear-ears.com becomes a serious business for me. 

This decision hinges on how many copies of my book I think I can sell. 

There is a big cascade of questions based on this one question and it's a scary step to take. It sort of feels like that scene in Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade where Indiana steps into what he thinks is air, but (spoiler alert) actually turns out to be a bridge. 
This is a test knit of one of the patterns in the book.  

I really hope that when all is said and done, I'll be on the other side with the Holy Grail in my hand.

8 comments :

Andi G said...

Sounds like a very scary crossroad for you. I wish you luck in making the right decision for you. I have no doubt you will come to the perfect conclusion! Good luck love.

Anonymous said...

Scary, but exciting! I'm sure there is a lot of SWOT analysis, business planning and figure crunching going on behind the scenes. Whatever you decide, as Andy says, good luck!!!

French Nanny said...

Actually, Indiana throws a handful of sand out and that shows where the bridge is. So not a total act of faith! Maybe your handful of sand will come along...

Penny
x

José said...

That sounds like a tough decision...but like kiwiyarns says; esciting too ! Good luck ! I hope you have enough ideas, facts and means at hand to make the decision easier than it may seem..

Cindy said...

Wow, I can't wait to hear all the details when you decide.

Jennifer said...

Sounds very exciting... and a little overwhelming to make such a big decision! Being a knitting pattern designer can be an incredible amount of work, but also very rewarding if that's where your passion is. I think the Designers Group on Ravelry is a good place to ask some of these questions of people who have been seriously designing for a long time, if you ever think that seeking their wisdom might be beneficial for you.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Kiwiyarns - scary, but so exciting! And you know, there will always be choices later too, so whatever you decide now doesn't have to be it forever. It can be hard to remember that in the moment, but it's true.

I can't wait to see what you choose - whatever way you go, it's a brave step to take.

Maryse said...

At the same time, it must be really exciting too! Decisions, decisions... ;-)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...