Thursday, November 22, 2012

Smaug Socks

I finished my Smaug socks! I was hoping to have them completed before The Hobbit movie was released. You know... so I can wear them while seeing The Hobbit.

The yarn is Handmaiden Casbah in what I'm guessing is the Ruby colorway. The pattern is Smaug Socks by my former co-worker, Claire Ellen. (Yes, I'm totally name dropping.) I'm most impressed by Claire's clever integration of the gusset shaping into the tail cabling. If you knit it, you'll see what I'm talking about.

This pattern was really fun to knit. I ended up having to rip back a bit to add an extra inch. No fault of the pattern. It's just a personal preference and I didn't really pay attention to the length the pattern said it would be. The pattern was accurate. I was not. But it didn't matter because these socks were so much fun to knit, it didn't feel like a chore. I did need a bit of quiet when I got to the heel. It might be easier for people who are use to heel flaps, but my default is a short row heel. Regardless, I'm extremely happy with how these turned out.

Unfortunately, when I cast off the Smaug Socks, I found myself without any knitting. That's right. I had nothing on the needles. Not even secret designs. Current secret designs are in the math/swatch/graphing stages.
My November list of knitting is done, so I have started in on my December list. As an aside, anyone who might be curious as to how I stay on track with knitting: I make a monthly list of knitting and assign myself a daily knitting quota. If there isn't a hard deadline, I don't push myself. But I also don't cast on more than 3 projects total.
This looks like a pile of noodles, but it is the beginning of the Rock Island shawl by Jared Flood. All going well, it will be gifted in January.

Rock Island will get easier after I get past the edging. But the edging takes a bit more concentration, so I've also cast on a pair of Skyp socks. The yarn is Socks That Rock lightweight in the colorway Puck's Mischief. 

I think I might be turning into Andi. It seems wrong not to have a sock on the needles. She's also the reason I chose the pattern. Her pair of Sir Isaac Lime Skyps made me want my own. Well, that and if I finished this skein, I won't have any more Socks That Rock. That means I can buy more in February when I go to Stitches West... right? It's totally reasonable.

8 comments :

Britney said...

those socks are beautiful! claire did a wonderful job designing them, and your execution/yarn choice is great.

José said...

Your socks are absolutely smashing ! Are you sure you want to wear them to the movies ? I mean; people might be highly distracted from the film once they discover those socks.... ;-)

Andi G said...

Heck yeah to having socks on the needles! Of course yours are absolutely fantastic. I should have thought about knitting up some socks for my Hobbit viewing. Sidenote..I almost bought that yarn color from STR. After seeing yours, I wish I had.
Happy Thanksgiving my friend. xo

Anonymous said...

I love the colorways you've chosen for both patterns- I'm sure they'll come out brilliant.

Anonymous said...

Nice socks!! You can really see the dragon influence in them. You've made me think I might want a pair! Andi is great sock inspiration isn't she! I have a pair of Skyp socks planned to - thanks to her! And as for the yarn purchase... is there any question??

Pumpkin said...

I really like that pattern, you are right, it looks like a lot of fun to knit. They look so pretty in the red too! I don't think that being more like Andi is a bad thing at all, she is awesome and always knits super pretty socks too. I really love that bright blue you picked out for the shawl.

Maryse said...

Your Smaug socks are beautiful! I too look forward to see The Hobbit. One of the book I really enjoyed a few years back. Yes, Andi is such an enabler. I'm also knitting a pair of socks she knitted a few months ago ;-)

meredith said...

Oh wow. The Smaug socks are gorgeous. I love the details.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...