I have officially finished my very first sweater! The pattern is The Fireside Sweater by Amber Allison. The pattern is written fairly well. But what I like about it best is how easy it was to modify it to fit me better. If you want super specific details about what modifications I made, check out my Fireside Project Page on ravelry.
I used Tui by Zealana. 70% NZ Merino, 15% Cashmere, 15% Possum. I asked kiwipurler to send me an extra skein because half-way through, it looked like I was going to need 11 skeins. I only had ten and I don't live in NZ. Of course I ended up using only 9 skeins. But I don't think I would have even bothered finishing the sweater if I hadn't had the extra skein. It was like a security skein.