Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Sasquatch's Sock

I officially have another Sasquatch sock. It looks like it fits, but it is just loose enough to creep down my leg. I cannot even begin the describe the fury I felt when I got the sock off the needles and tried it only to find it was too big. There may have been an immature display of finger clenching, teeth grinding, and glaring involved.

The tragedy with blocking is that you cannot block things smaller. And because I've chosen superwash wool/nylon blend, I can't shrink it in the dryer. So today I did the only thing a mature, logical, and calm knitter could do.

I bought myself another pair of needles.

9 comments :

Jordan said...

well, even if it doesn't fit, it looks great.

Anonymous said...

It is very pretty, and the foot part looks tight enough. I find any sock pattern that doesn't have a bit of ribbing in the pattern over my ankle feels to loose to me and like it is going to fall down so I avoid those patterns. That is my helpful hint.

Audry said...

I think I will remake it because it is so pretty. But I'll be ripping the whole thing. The foot is a bit too loose for me. It twists around my foot too easily.

WildflowerWool said...

That is too bad about the fit but they look great.

Saffy said...

They look beautiful though.

You can buy knitters elastic to knit into the cuffs - not sure if that would help? I've bought some (John Lewis) but not tried it yet. My chubby legs end to mean I need to go up a needle size for the top of the leg not down.

AC said...

Maybe since it's part wool it will shrink a little? I think you should have gotten some yarn to go with those new needles.

Lutfi Fadhila said...

i love wearing socks too :)
gaah

Anonymous said...

It's a gorgeous sock! what a pity it's a bit big. I think your idea to knit it in smaller needles will work. I tend to shift between 2.25mm and 2.5mm depending on the thickness of the yarn I'm using. The finer the yarn, the smaller the needle. Also, I don't know how many stitches you cast on, but for me, between 64 (finer sock) and 60 (slightly thicker sock) is a good number.

Good luck with producing a more satisfactory size! x

Libby said...

What a bummer! That would be so frustrating! On the bright side, the sock is lovely! :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...