Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Skill + 1UP - 2KCBWDAY2


Look back over your last year of projects and compare where you are in terms of skill and knowledge of your craft to this time last year. Have you learned any new skills or forms of knitting/crochet (can you crochet cable stitches now where you didn’t even know such things existed last year? Have you recently put a foot in the tiled world of entrelac? Had you even picked up a pair of needles or crochet hook this time last year?

I hadn't realized it, but this time last year, I was knitting my first lace project. (And by first, I mean that 16 row try at lace two years previous doesn't count) I was terrified of lace after the 16 row experiment. I don't really know what possessed me to try again. I guess I just really wanted a Shipwreck Shawl.

I'd like to mention that when I started this shawl, I didn't even know how to do a proper yarn over. I kept doing a yo, k1. The evening ended with me on one side of the room and the yarn on the other. I still can't believe that I chose to do the Shipwreck Shawl as a first lace project, because it wasn't easy. And there are mistakes in it. But they are my mistakes and I learned a great deal from them. (I gave the shawl the name "Law And Order" because I watched about 60 hours of it while knitting)

I Also finally learned how to read cable charts. I don't know why I didn't try earlier. Charts are so much more useful than written instructions when it comes to cables (and lace for that matter) It was quite the productive year!

1 comments :

Jen Hagan said...

Beautiful! And hurray for charts. I love them. So much easier to look up from your work and keep your place than trying to look at all that code. What yarns did you use in these two projects pictured?

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...