Saturday, February 8, 2014

Ravellenic Games

It seems like every time the Olympics come up, I have deadline knitting to do. This year is no different. The amount of knitting I have to do makes it too difficult to do both the deadline knitting and knit along with the games, and I don't care to combine the two. So although I've skipped participating in past Ravellenic games, this year I decided (spur of the moment) that I'm going to spin during the games. Since it was a last minute, I'm not a part of any team. But that's ok with me. 

So here's the plan: I'm going to spin up 4oz of Greenwood Fiberworks Hand Painted Sock Roving in the Enchanted color way using a drop spindle. It will eventually become a three ply sock yarn. And to add to the fun, I'm doing a color experiment. I divided up the braid into three even lengths. Then I took one of those lengths and divided it up into 6ths. So this skein will have a fractal component to it.

Do I think I can do it? Well, someone on instagram admired my ambition. I haven't spun on my spindle in so long that I'm not really sure if I am a little crazy or not. I thought it was reasonable. So here is one day of spinning. There is a lot of fiber on the spindle, but the first ball of fiber seems like it hasn't shrunk at all.

Meanwhile, this is what I'm knitting. It is a fingering weight infinity scarf with all the constellations as seen from the equator. I'm going to need test knitters and it will be a quick turnaround. i.e. I need to know if it works by Feb 18th so that it can be real eased in time for Stitches West. It's taking me about 5 days to knit. Yardage looks like it will hit in the 300-400yd range. The pattern should be ready to send out by Monday. Any takers?

5 comments :

Anonymous said...

That roving looks lovely! I bet it will make nice socks. Your new cowl looks like another winner! I'd offer to help knit, except that I have a couple of designs that I'm behind on... give me a yell if you're stuck for knitters though, and I'll see if I can drop the socks for a bit. I'm fairly sure you'll get lots of test offers though.

Alicia said...

That is a great idea for an infinity scarf! I wish I could help but I have a bunch of other deadlines, myself. Also, I think 4 oz of fiber in 2 weeks is perfectly reasonable if you spin a little every day! I think I did 11 oz during the 2 weeks of spinzilla (but granted, all I did was spin, no knitting then). Good luck!

Gracey is not my name.... said...

Most teams will still take members, but you may not be eligible for prizes..I know Team Sherlocked is still allowing members to join...if you are a fan of the sleuth.

kathy b said...

Not a taker, but an admirer that's for sure. I love the Constellation concept and sparkles

Jennifer said...

Geez, I hope I'm not commenting twice - - I think my first comment disappeared.

Anyway, trying to balance deadline knitting with "just for fun" knitting is very challenging and I've stopped signing up for knitalongs because it never works out for me to have a deadline project that is "just for fun." Which is sad because knitalongs seems like so much fun. (Of course, all knitting is fun.)

I really love your star constellation patterns - - it is such an innovative and inspiring concept!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...