Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Knitting Catastrophe

After five days of knitting, I was able to finish the newest design. I blocked it Sunday night and went to bed pleased.

But when I woke up Monday morning and picked up the scarf, it immediately curled into a tight tube.  I had expected some curling since there is so much stockinette. But I thought that the blocking should sort it all out. I was wrong. My heart sank. This has to be out by the 19th and here I was starting over. (I also needed to have a second sample mailed to another dyer by the Monday after Stitches West and it wasn't looking good.)

After panicking for a couple hours, I decided that based on my time and yarn constraints, this design is going to a garter stitch base. This picture shows day one of knitting. I'm on day three, and thanks to anti-inflammatories, I'll be done with this in one more day. It isn't exactly what I had envisioned, but now that I've passed the 3/4 mark, I have to say, it looks pretty good. I'm looking forward to seeing what it will look like when I finish blocking it.

Also, a shoutout to Cindy and Kourtney for helping out with sample knitting and testing. Thanks guys!

6 comments :

kiwiyarns said...

That has to be a designer's worst nightmare. I am glad you worked out a fix. Sending you fast knitting winds!

fern1knits said...

Oh geez! I'm really surprised by that amount of curling, but at least you can always fall back on garter stitch for a no-curl fabric. Good luck!

Andi G said...

Oh no, I'm sorry. Good luck love. It looks beautiful.

kathy b said...

darn that curling! Garter love all the way round here !

savannahchik said...

garter should set it all straight. if you knit the garter loose enough you can also block it out to a supple fabric too.

it'll all work out :)

Leticia said...

The samples looked AMAZING in person at StitchesWest hanging in the Canon Hand Dyes booth!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...