Thursday, February 28, 2013

Spincycle Yarns

While I was at Stitches, I had the pleasure of meeting the Spincycle girls, Rachel and Kate. I've long admired their yarn. This year, they debuted a new line and I can honestly say this is the most original, yet still practical yarn I've seen in a really long time.

They have developed a line of millspun yarn that looks like handspun! It is called Dyed in the Wool and it is stunning. It isn't obvious in these images, but the yarn gives long color repeats. It is unusual to find long color repeats in yarn and in most cases the yarn is a single ply, which doesn't wear well. This yarn is plied.

Dyed in the Wool is 200 yards of superwash BFL. The fiber is dyed by Rachel and Kate before it is sent to a local mill to be spun up.

Let's have a look at the color range. Oh look... it comes in every color. And it mixes well with other yarns. In the first image of this post, you can see Rachel knitting up a sweater in a combination of Dyed in the Wool and a grey shade of Cascade 220 fingering.

I came away with a skein in the Fallen Leaves colorway. Boy do I wish my knitting obligations were finished because I'm just itching to cast on with this yarn.

For the record, I'm not getting paid for my point of view on this yarn. But I can honestly say I haven't been this enthusiastic about a line of yarn ever. The thought and care put into this yarn deeply impresses me. And although I haven't knit up my skein yet, it feels like a hard wearing yarn. So if you want to get your hands on your own skein (and you know you do), hop on over to their Dyed in the Wool etsy shop.

7 comments :

Anonymous said...

Wow, such an amazing idea! A scarf with those long color repeats would probably be exceptional.

Anonymous said...

Fascinating! I love BFL yarn. You are right - it is very hardwearing. And long colour repeats... yum! Thanks for introducing this yarn.

Chrissy said...

That looks like stunning yarn. I really wish you hadn't put that temptation in my way as I'm trying to cut down on stash rather than enhance it!

Pumpkin said...

Look at all the colors! It's like the fancy version of Cascade 220! I love hearing about small businesses doing well and making wonderful products. I'm surprised you were able to walk away with just one skein, I would have been unable to pick one.

Unknown said...

I want, I want, I want! I have yet to see/use Spincycle Yarns so thankyouverymuch for adding one more thing I need to resist... haha

Maryse said...

Beautiful indeed! Beautiful pictures!

DKnits said...

I'd never be able to choose only one in front of all these beautiful colors....
Love the striped sweater, I didn't know there was 220 in fingering weight

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...