Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A Tough Decision

I'm not exactly sure how to say this... but I have some bad news for everyone who has been enjoying the Spring hat and scarf. Sprig has been free since May and the matching Sprig Hat has been free since July. As of tomorrow, they will be pay for patterns. I've been wrestling over this decision, but ultimately, I think it is for the best.

I actually wrestle with whether or not each of my patterns should be free or not every time I publish. Honestly, if there was some way for me to make money and give away my patterns for free, I would. Obviously that is impossible. But for me to continue writing, I have to sell my patterns. But the good news is that even though the Sprig set will be pay-for patterns, Free Bees and Mr. Tumnus will remain free.

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

I have very similar thoughts to you.

I think that's fair enough to charge. You've spent a lot of time and effort on your projects, and paying for the pattern is a way for people to recognise the effort of the individual.

Maryse said...

I don't think that you should feel bad about selling your patterns if they are you original idea, why not? I personally don't mind to pay for a pattern that I like!

Alina Sayre said...

I think this is a good choice. Your patterns represent a TON of work on your end, and really, the point of charging is to enable you to keep up the good work. There's a big difference between making money from your work and working for the money, which I think you're keenly aware of. So I think this is a very fair and well-thought-out choice.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...