I was waiting until these were finally gifted before posting about them. But the other bit of knitting I've finished recently is a pair of Elizabeth Zimmermann's Mitered Mittens. I made a few modifications. One being that my gauge was wildly off, so I changed the stitch count.
The other is that recipient wanted something with buttons, so I added a garter stitch strip with a one row button hole in it along with buttons made of sliced antler. The yarn is Manos del Uruguay Maxima in the Arctic color way. I thought the antler buttons and arctic color seemed to create a nice theme.
I think it's safe to say that they are a success. I'm basing this on the feeling of, "maybe I can make another pair so I can keep this pair."