Friday, December 5, 2014

Sawcut Gorge

Whenever I agree to go with Chris on a hike, I go knowing full well that anything could happen and that the track could be in any condition.

As usual, I was treated to one of New Zealand's finest tracks. And by finest track, I mean that there was none. We just scrambled over rocks looking for orange triangles that would prove we were going the right direction.

We crossed the river multiple times. Chris said that the water was cold enough to allow boys to be mistaken for girls. I told him that girls didn't like being in water that cold either.

After all the scrambling we did, we eventually reached the gorge. A Spanish couple was sitting and having lunch by it. I was impressed that there was anyone else out there since the drive in was long, winding, and dangerous followed by a hike that was long, winding, and dangerous. 

We walked up the gorge, through the river, and had lunch. 

As we walked back down, the light started to shine right down into the gorge. I marveled that we could have come at any time of the year at any time of the day and could have missed this phenomenon.

I was tired, cold, wet... and I didn't want to be anywhere else in the world in that moment.

3 comments :

Alina Sayre said...

Oh my gosh, that's...ethereal :) I keep hearing Lord of the Rings music playing in the background of your posts...

kjsutcliffe said...

Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Ah, but you see, you did have a good track - you had access! usually no track means there's no way through. Funny lot, aren't we Kiwis? :D That was a spectacular walk.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...