Thursday, January 3, 2013

Annual Goal List: 2012-2013 Edition

2012 was a year of learning and letting go. This year I learned that in order to let new things be a part of my life, I'd have to give up commitments and traditions. So I have decided that this was going to be the last year of being the head of crafts at a summer camp, I stopped making wine, and a quit my daily comic. But enough of what I'm not doing anymore. Let's have a look at this year's highlights.

I knit up lots of stash. I bought more yarn to take its place.

My LYS started and still is carrying Giraffe Hat kits. I even lead a KAL (Knit Along) for it in November.

I was the recipient of the coolest gift ever: yarn specially dyed to match the water around Big Sur. I'm still working out what kind of pattern would show off the yarn the best.

Lots of other neat things happened this past year, but I'm going to go ahead and move on to the annual goal list.

Here is a recap of this past year's goals.
Goals for 2012:
1. Finish designing and knitting the rest of the knits for my book. Figure out the next step in putting everything together.
Status: Pretty darn close. I'm on the last knit and have begun working on how I want to layout the book. I've also been doing photoshoots for the completed knits. So it's getting there.
2. Road trip somewhere. I'd like it if it was the southwest road trip I've been wanting to do, but anything would be fine.
Status: Semi-complete. I did go on short day trips in my area. I had wanted to do a large roadtrip. But a bunch of small ones were good too.
3. Be able to bike up Highway 9 to Santa Cruz. I've seen serious bikers in lycra clothes and carbon fiber bikes going up there. I want to take my t-shirt wearing, commuter-bike riding butt up that way.
Status: Incomplete. It's a big ride and I never was in good enough shape to do it this year. I'm ok with that. I might do the ride one day, but it isn't a goal anymore.
4. Knit a pair of sock with my own hand spun yarn.
Status: Complete. I made a pair of Denature socks from my handspun. I learned that although I like spinning and I like knitting, I don't really like knitting with my handspun. That feeling could change depending on what I'm knitting.
5. Finally put up my daily comic site.
Status: Cancelled. I quit doing my daily comics in October. Or rather, I officially quit in October. I had stopped drawing them a couple months before. Once I put the notebooks deep in my closet, I noticed that the amount of guilt I felt nearly vanished. I no longer had a project that was telling me I had failed every day.
6. And one rollover from last year's list: Make that music video. Seriously.
Status: Complete. I made the video and had a good time doing it. I also learned to use Final Cut Pro X, which is a nifty program.

Goals for 2013:
I've only have one main goal this year. But it is such a big goal that it has sub-goals to it. And that big goal is to finish The Book. If possible, I want to have a hard copy in my hand by August. So under this huge goal are the subgoals, which are:
1. Finish knitting the last knit.
2. Finish the last 5 photo shoots.
3. Hire a tech editor. Edit The Book.
4. Layout The Book.
5. Get test knitters lined up. Test the knits.
And I have one goal unrelated to The Book.
6. Knit a sister shawl to Celestarium. This one will have the constellations of the southern hemisphere.


Well, that's it for me. What are everyone else's goals for this year?

10 comments :

Elisa Rocket said...

What exactly is a tech editor? I'm a pro proofreader/copy editor, if you need one of those.

Jennifer said...

Well done on doing so well with your 2012 goals. I barely scratched the surface of mine and decided to have less specific goals this year. Your 2013 goal and sub-goals sound awesome and I'm sure you will feel great when they are done.

BTW, if and when you're looking for a tech editor, I have the email address for the moderator of an online knitting tech editor group, which has a lot of tech editors (some who are very very experienced), where you can post an 'advertisement' that you're looking to hire someone and then you can 'interview' the various 'applicants' to find the right one for you. There is also a group on Ravelry, which is where I found my editor.

Good luck!

Pumpkin said...

You made wine too? What do you not do? I cannot believe all that you did this year, you are so productive I'm envious. Also, that basket of yarn is any knitters dream. I love each and every one of your goals for this year, especially those pertaining the Book. I cannot even imagine the amount of work that would go into a project like that and you make it look easy!

HK said...

Are you planning on self-publishing your book, or are you looking for a publisher?

Either way, that's so exciting! It's been really fun watching your journey. Here's to a productive 2013!

Anonymous said...

You might need to add "find time to do something not related to The Book". Not really a goal, but a reminder to allow your head some breathing room (but you know that already). By the way, I am super excited to see your new book this year!! I know it will be great.

I think I need to spend some time reflecting on what I want to do this year. My kids all came out with definite resolutions at New Year, while I came out with a very lame "I don't know...". Hmm.

xo.leslieanne said...

I would totally want to be a test knitter for your patterns if I knew how to knit. I just crochet D:

meredith said...

What a wonderful year! Good luck finishing your book!

Anonymous said...

I cannot wait to see that book live!

As for goals, here are mine: http://pansneedles.com/2013/01/04/looking-ahead-to-2013/

Maryse said...

Nice goals! I might like to test knit for you a small project ;-) Happy New Year my dear!

Margaret Napier said...

Always good to have goals to keep you focused. Good luck!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...