Monday, October 29, 2012

Vestus For The Rest Of Us

I am on fire. Another FO in under a week. My Aunt had requested a vest last year. Although it took me until now to feel comfortable enough with my skills to design a vest for her.

She loaned me one of her vests so I could match the sizing. I am proud to say that I the knit vest is pretty darn close in size to her other vest. She also bought the yarn, which was Universal Yarns (now discontinued) Deluxe Worsted Magic in the Blue Meadow colorway. The ravelry project page is here.

It's funny how when you follow a knitting pattern, shaping a shoulder is easy. But when you are writing up a "quick" pattern, all of a sudden shoulder shaping is a mystery. After a few days of puzzling, I finally thought to add a few short rows to help it slope. Ta-da. Magic.

I was so eager to start my next project, that I actually started swatching while walking to get tea. This lovely ball of Handmaiden Casbah was a nightmare to ball. I was going to roll it up "quickly" before bed, but it turned into a tangled mess (no fault of my own), so I went to bed at 2:30AM because I couldn't just leave it. What will this skein become, you wonder? It will be a pair of Smaug Socks that I fully intend to wear when I go see The Hobbit.

5 comments :

Britney said...

well done, i really like how that yarn knitted up!

Anonymous said...

I love the pattern, although I might just have to shell out for the Bilbo ones, myself. Those cables!!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice! That vest will look great on your aunt. Gorgeous colour for a pair of Smaug socks.

Pumpkin said...

Woah, you are knitting like crazy! That is such a vibrant red, I'm sorry to hear that it was also quite troublesome. Try and get some sleep tonight! Also, I too am struggling with shoulder shaping, seeing your triumph has given me hope that my hastily conceptualized pattern might work out.

Jennifer said...

What a thoughtful gift! And I also love those socks inspired by Lord of the Rings.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...