Friday, October 31, 2014

Fantastic Yarn Day

Last Thursday was a really, really, really good yarn day. Two different packages full of yarn showed up. And since they were sent by two different methods, they showed up at different times. I got to be excited twice in one day. Although I didn't open them right away. (With good reason I assure you.)

And that reason was because I went down to the Holland Road Yarn Co on Willis St. in Wellington and taught a class on starting the Southern Skies. Well, of course I forgot to take a picture of everyone. But I did get a picture of Jenn's start on her Southern Skies.

Now, being at the Holland Road Yarn Co, it's hard not to leave without some yarn. I'd been there earlier in my trip, so I thought I was safe. Not so. They had restocked their Mythral.... and they had the Rata color way that I had been unsuccessful in procuring the last time I'd been in New Zealand. I hemmed, I hawed, I bought.

But with only 8 balls (I had bought all they had in stock) I wasn't sure I'd be able to make the sweater I wanted. After talking to Wei Siew about what my options might be, she dove into her stash and came out with 5 more balls... in the same dye lot. She asked how many I needed, but I honestly couldn't answer her because my jaw had dropped. Too bad there isn't a picture of it. She said I could take all of them after I was unable to scoop my jaw back up off of the floor. She also gave me a project bag. I suppose stuffing one's half knit sock into one's pocket guarantees sympathy from another knitter.

So after all that, I did finally open my yarn packages. I ordered 5 skeins of Anna Gratton's 4ply Pure Wool in Natural White for a super secret project. Poor Wei Siew has had to listen to me prattle on about what they will grow up to be.

And after knitting part of a sock in the Stray Cat Sock that Wei Siew treated me to, I went ahead and bought myself two more balls in the Jaffa and Silver Star color ways.

So if we knitters are to learn any lesson in all of this, it is that if you are far away from your yarn stash, you will start building a new one. 

6 comments :

Alicia said...

I've been eyeballing that grey/green skein since you mentioned that yarn, it looks like it will make great socks!

Anonymous said...

It's nice to share the love. You are also quite right - too long away from one's stash guarantee's the acquisition of more where you are. Ask me how I know. Hehe!

DKnits said...

Grey and green yarn is my favorite! Can't wait to see what you're going to knit with this beauty!

Knitcoach said...

Somebody had a very HAPPY yarn day!

Anonymous said...

Haha. I suspect a new yarn stash is one of the first things I'd start building if separated from mine by that much distance. It looks like yours is off to a healthy start :)

erin kate said...

oh that pure wool has so many possibilities !!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...