Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Fern Canyon

Mum told me the other day, "It's like you are trying to relive your entire life in two months." She is kind of right. I've travelled all over in the last two weeks and spent almost no time on the computer and no time knitting. I'm sure there will be time to catch up, but the time is not right now. I will try to fill you all in on my recent exploits though.
After seeing my Oma, Mum and I drove to Fern Canyon to do a sock photo shoot. I've been to Fern Canyon several times and I think summer is probably the best time of year to see it.

Looking up the wall of the canyon, it is just so stunning to see all the ferns lined up. I feel like I'm living through the Jurassic Period.

Mum was an excellent model as usual. Some people walked up to us an asked if we wanted our picture together. I had to explain that I design knits and that I was taking pictures of socks on purpose. We saw them later on and they cheekily offered to model.

When we saw the water running down the side of the canyon, Mum said that it reminded her of Milford Sound in New Zealand. I hope I get a chance to see it when I'm there later on this month.

As usual, I got my jumping photo. These orange shoes have seen their fair share of adventure. I think they brighten up the photo quite well.

As we finished hiking the trail loop, Mum and I noticed that a bunch of plants had been eaten. At first I thought that the banana slugs had either grown to great proportions or that there was an army of them. Then we realized that the Roosevelt Elk that live in the area must of climbed into the canyon and had a feast.

Fern Canyon is quite a ways away from home, but Mum and I decided that we were going to power though and got home around midnight. We actually drove over the road where the Napa earthquake was only hours before it happened. I've decided that my Mum's superpower name should be "Natural Disaster" because weird events seem to follow her.

5 comments :

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to seeing the socks! That canyon is really canyon'y isn't it! I guess that in the past there must have been a very large river running through it?

Alicia said...

That is a terrifying superpower! And all those ferns remind me of the large-leafed plants covering the mountainsides in Costa Rica. Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

That is the prettiest forest! I need to put visiting it on my Bucket List :) Keep up the travels, update us on occasion and live your life to the fullest possible amount!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous place! I have always loved ferns. They manage to be both majestic and quotidien, which is pretty incredible.

I can't wait to see the socks! Do you have a release date in mind?

DKnits said...

What an impressive landscape! Looking forward to see the socks!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...