Thursday, September 19, 2013

Behind The Garden Wall

Behind The Garden Wall is the 10th and final knit to appear in Lit Knits. It is based on The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett, which was published in 1911.

These socks are knit top-down and have a dutch heel. The legs of the socks both feature the ivy that hides the door to the secret garden. And just as Mary Lennox finds a key hidden in the earth, these socks have a key hidden on the bottom of one of the feet.

Getting a model proved to be challenge. It took me quite some time to find a model who looked young without being too childish. I was actually getting a little worried about finding someone. But one day, while talking to a friend, I looked down and noticed that her feet looked close to my size. (I typically make all sock samples my size so that if it comes down to it, I can model the socks.) Actually, I stared at her feet. It doesn't matter if you are good friends with someone. No one thinks it is normal if you stare at their feet.  I explained that I was looking for a sock model. She let me know that she was available the following Tuesday.
One of my favorite shots that didn't make it into the book

Where we were shooting was by a busy road, which I mentioned in a previous post. To get some of the shots I needed, I had to stand in the road. So I would run into the road, focus, take a picture, and run back. Mum and my model held their positions all though this. Everyone was so sore by the end. Don't believe me? Try holding the pose below for 15 minutes. Feel the burn.

Luckily for my model, I left the easy "sitting" pictures for the end. Here is what the set up looked like.

And here is the resulting picture.

All in all, it was a great day.

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love that that hidden detail! These are so gorgeous.

Jennifer said...

You really chose some of my favorite childhood books for your inspiration. I absolutely adore the Secret Garden! And those socks are gorgeous!

Alina Sayre said...

Love it! Especially the behind-the-scenes reflector picture. Your mom is really the best photo assistant :)

Alicia said...

Did you scope out all these locations ahead of time? How did you know what kind of shot you wanted? I'd like to hear some of the behind-the-scenes planning/thought process...

Pumpkin said...

Ah yes, this is the pattern I want to knit as soon as I can find yarn I like! The little key detail is just the sweetest and so imaginative!

Elaine said...

I somehow missed this post when you posted it :P I had a great time helping you out! The Secret Garden was the book that really got me excited about reading when I was a kid :D Can't wait to get my copy of Lit Knits!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...