Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Poppies, Floating Rocks, and Smilodons

I just got back from a wonderful vacation. My parents and I went down to see my brother's guitar recital. On the way down we went to check out the Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve. This is the time of year when the hills are supposed to be covered in poppies. I was a bit skeptical as we drove up because the hills looked a little too brown. Turns out the rains didn't come, so they all died. Dad bought a postcard and we walked up to see where the poppies would have been. 
 There are more poppies in our backyard than in Antelope Valley this year.

The next day, after the recital, we visited the La Brea tar pits. We all thought that the constant bubbles coming up from the pits was some sort of Disney magic. Boy are we used to a manufactured world. The bubbling occurs because of built up methane gas under the pits.

Before we checked out the Page Museum, I noticed that we were next to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. There is a piece out front called Levitating Mass, which consists of large granite rock displayed over a lowered walkway. The opinions on this piece are extremely polarized: you either think it is the best bit of art since Michelangelo's David or that it is a waste of money. I just think it is a very difficult piece to get a picture of it if you've left your wide angle lens in the car.

The Page Museum is pretty neat. There are a large number of skeletons, including these two Mastodons. It is a mum and her baby that got stuck at the same time.

I learned that Smilodons, or Saber-Toothed Cats are often incorrectly called Saber-Toothed Tigers. They aren't tigers, they are cats. 

My last day in LA, my brother and I went to Disneyland. There are no pictures because the only thing I brought with me was chapstick. We were there nearly the entire time the park was open. Highlights include getting seats closest to the edge of the water in my favorite restaurant, the Blue Bayou, beating Christopher at Astroblasters after he bragged about what a great shot he was (95,000 points to his 69,000), and the sad whimper Christopher made when his sunglasses disappeared on the last turn of the Matterhorn. I think the highlight of Christopher's day was when we went on Splash Mountain and the wave missed him, but entirely drenched me. 
I didn't knit or touch the computer the entire time I was in LA. It was a true vacation and I savored every moment. Now back to work.

5 comments :

Alina Sayre said...

Glad you had fun! That Smilodon sure looks...cuddly?

Jennifer said...

Looks like a wonderful vacation. I love museums with skeletons of extinct animals! So interesting and neat.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looked like a great holiday. Thank you for sharing. I'm glad you got a rest. There is nothing like a bit of a change of scenery!

Pumpkin said...

That sounds like the most wonderful vacation I can imagine. It sounds like you had a great time with your family too! I'm so sad about the poppies! I went there when I was younger, I don't really remember anything other than being really tired (almost as bad as when my parents dragged me through the entire Biltmore House...after dinner!). It was probably a good idea you didn't take your camera into Disneyland, I've heard that place is pretty wild and not good for delicate things.

Unknown said...

Oh man, I'm jealous of your vacation but I'm glad you got to have a nice one!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...