Monday, June 25, 2012

Tribute To My Granddad

A little over a week ago my grandfather passed away. I'd wanted to write some sort of tribute, but I get teary every time I try, so I think I'll just share some photos.
This image is of my grandparents at the Waldorf Astoria (to the best of everyone's knowledge). The date on the back says June 10th, 1952. The story goes that my grandfather had proposed to my grandmother in England. She said no, moved to America and ended up working in the Empire State Building. At some point he came after her. It should be noted that my grandmother was a bit of a spitfire. She took up electric guitar in her later years.

He served England during WWII and worked on the front line laying down wire for communications. It's said that he was witness to the fasted U-turn in history when he and his team realized they were driving towards enemy lines.
My granddad is on the right

My grandfather was an entrepreneur after the war and brought seat belts to New Zealand. My father mentioned that he was one of the first kids in New Zealand to wear a seatbelt. I did a wee bit of research and found that he also was granted a patent on belt couplings. Fancy that.

7 comments :

peglegparadiddle said...

Your grandfather sounds like a really interesting guy. I'm sorry for your loss :(

Pumpkin said...

I'm so sorry to hear about his passing, obviously he was not only a really interesting person but well loved as well, which is most important. Thank you for giving us all a little glimpse into his wonderful life.

LimeRiot said...

Your grandfather sure led a rich and exciting life. Thank you for sharing. I'm truly sorry for your loss. Take care.

Anonymous said...

My deepest condolences Audry. xxx

José said...

I'm sorry for your loss...

Andi G said...

Ah love I am sorry. I know it was hard, but it was a lovely tribute. Thank you for sharing those wonderful images.

Alina Sayre said...

This is neat, Audry. Words/pictures are such a special way to commemorate the life of someone you love...especially someone whose life you continue to discover. The story about your grandmother made me laugh. Now I see where you get the spitfire :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...